So officially the diet has now started and I’m doing really well. But before it did start I made one of these. It was my farewell to all things yummy for the time being and what better way to do it than with one of these bad boys…..
This cake is really easy and oh so yummy. I found the original recipe on the amazing PINTEREST. You can check out my board below. Why not follow me and never miss a pin! (shameless plug over….promise)
The original recipe comes from the blog Its Just Nice and is worth taking a look as the loaf pictures on there are far superior to my own. Are you a lover of baking? Be sure to check out my other great recipes!
INGREDIENTS – The Loaf
- 3 Large Eggs (or 4 normal sized ones)
- 170g Self Raising Flour
- 170g Caster Sugar
- 170g Butter
- Zest of 2 Lemons
- 1 TSP Baking Powder
INGREDIENTS – The Drizzle
- Juice of 2 Lemons
- 110g Icing Sugar
- mix these together slowly and gradually until the drizzle is a consistency you are happy with.
THE METHOD …….to my madness……
- Pre-heat oven to gas mark 6 or 180 degrees C. Prep your tin. I used grease proof paper.
- chuck all your loaf ingredients into a bowl. I know what your thinking, if your an obsessive recipe reader like me. Put your twitch in a box and bury it deep, it will all be fine. Trust me.
- Mix your ingredients like the woman from the canderel advert. Singing is optional. Make sure your batter is a smooth consistency.
- Pour your batter into the tin and pop it in the oven for 45 minutes
- Use the skewer test to make sure it’s cooked the whole way through.
- Once its cooled pour on your glaze and leave in the tin for 10 minutes after pouring. This gives the loaf plenty of time to soak it up.
We ate most of the loaf straight away. It was really yummy but also very sticky and moist. Almost a bit too much. There were 2 slices left (I know I’m shocked too!) Which I had with a coffee the following day. I found it was better the next day as it had become more sticky and tasted amazing. If you can stop yourself from eating it straight away its well worth the wait!