So on my quest for more interesting pictures I came across the is one and knew instantly I had to make this dish, not only did it look amazing but it only uses one pot!!!
The meal only took about 20 minutes to prep and 2 hours to cook. It was inspired by a slimming world dish the link for which is at the bottom but I’ve done a few tweaks to my version.
The smell, whilst cooking this one pot wonder, is amazing and don’t be put off by how “squishy” the veg looks. Whilst the texture leaves much to be desired the taste more than overshadows this issue putting it on the list of dishes I’ll be cooking again for the family. Even more surprising was that the kids also loved it and even ate the tomatoes!
I’ve included some prices again based on buying from Lidl in Torquay.
- 1 KG Chicken Thighs £3.00
- Dried Chili Flakes – already had in the store cupboard
- 2 Courgettes – £0.90
- New Potatoes – £0.89
- 4 Garlic Cloves – already had in the store cupboard
- Zest and Juice of one Lemon £0.25
- 1 Large White Onion £0.89 for a pack of 4
- 1 Red Onion £1.00 for a bag of small red onions
- Fresh Parsley £0.89 for a plant (see my blog on replanting herbs in up cycled pots.)
- 6 Tomatoes £0.69
- 250ml Chicken or Vegetable stock
- Olive Oil – already had in the store cupboard
- Salt and Pepper
- Heat olive oil in the bottom of a pan (ideally select a pan or tray that can be used both on the hob and in the oven) When oil is hot place seasoned chicken thighs into pan skin side down. Cook until the skin has browned and then turn (2-3 minutes each side)
- Remove chicken and place in a clean bowl to one side for later.
- Cut potatoes in half and place in the same oil in hot pan as used with chicken. once potatoes have taken on some colour layers tomatoes over the top.
- Cut courgettes into thick slices and layer with tomatoes. Repeat with onions
- Place chicken thighs on top and pore over stock.
- In a separate dish zest and juice the lemon ensuring there are no pips. Add to this chili flakes, garlic and parsley. Pore the marinade over the thighs.
- Cover the tray or dish and place in the oven on gas mark 5 for 2 hours. 15 minutes before serving remove the lid or cover to crisp up the chicken skin.